Just Finished: The Dangerous World of Butterflies

I just finished reading The Dangerous World of Butterfies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors and Conservationists by Peter Luafer last week, after hauling it around in my purse for over a month. I heard about it when I saw Jon Stewart interview the author on the Daily Show. It sounded like a really interesting book about a rather unusual topic. Needless to say, I learned a lot about butterflies! I don't know that I came away enlightened from the experience, but I did pick up some random butterfly facts, including the existence of a butterfly-phobia website and some of the inside world of endangered butterfly smuggling. I think the book would have benefitted a lot from photos throughout, even if they were in black and white. I had a hard time imagining what they looked like, and the author's descriptions weren't all that captivating. Overall, though, I enjoyed learning more about such amazing and beautiful creatures!

Comments

Popular Posts