Thinking of the Planet


A beautiful image, isn't it? I would think so too, If I didn't know that it was in fact an aerial photograph of the recent BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to an endless slew of environmental disasters. There's so much I could say on this topic, but I'd rather let the professionals do the writing. I only hope that there is a way for humanity to put aside greed and think of everything nature has given us, and everything it still might have to offer –if we let it.

The above photo is from a fantastic New York Times photo essay on the BP oil spill. Of course our constant thirst for oil does more than just ruin the ocean . . it is ruining the planet. I thought this Op-Ed piece in the NYT was particularly poignant.

Even Smash Mouth knew what was going on back in 1999:

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now but wait 'til you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The waters getting warm so you might as well swim

Comments

Popular Posts