The Elephants Are Dying

Photo by Nick Brandt

I have been so saddened and outraged by the recent news coverage on the elephant slaughter  taking place right now that felt I had to at least write about it, if there's nothing else I can do.

I first learned about the dramatic increase in elephant poaching a few weeks ago when I read Elephants Dying in Epic Frenzy as Ivory Fuels Wars and Profits in the New York Times. It is heart wrenching to think that such an iconic, majestic and truly incredible animal is being threatened so severely. After reading this month's feature National Geographic article, Blood Ivory, it is even more unbelievable to me that this cruel fate has come to the elephant, a creature we all know and love. It seems that the only solution to this problem, and the only way to save the elephants remaining, is to re-instate a 100% ivory ban. I realize this is easier said than done, but the global community has the power to do it if everyone acts together. I hope that the common, small-time, ivory buyer would not want to purchase ivory if he knew of the dire situation elephants face today. More than anything I hope for the survival of elephants and all large African mammals as more and more forces work against them. In the long run, preserving these wild lives is worth more than any price tag.

Comments

Popular Posts